Monday, January 30, 2012

My first bust

So one of my resolutions for this year, in order to take some of the pressure off me, was that I wouldn't waste time on reviews I didn't want to write. That means giving up on books I know from the start aren't going to work for me, as well as giving myself permission to skip writing reviews on books that just aren't worth the effort. Because I can't do much of anything without giving myself some guidelines, I decided I'd have a two-book limit for each of my three review days. If I finished both and didn't want to review, that was it.

Today is the first time that's happened.

I read two, The Professor's Assistant and Anna Doubles Down. The first is an m/m steampunk from Liquid Silver that squicked me out in the first chapter with all the references to how young one of the heroes was, and because the writing just wasn't good enough to counter that, I finished it with a sick feeling in my stomach. The second is a time travel menage from Siren that didn't sound as bad as the erotic titles from Siren usually do. The excerpt didn't completely suck, either. Well, I was wrong there. Really amateurish writing and editorial inconsistencies were just the start there.

So there isn't any full-blown review today except for those nibbles. Hopefully, this doesn't happen too often, but when it does, this is what you can expect.

No comments: