Monday, December 17, 2007

Best Covers for 2007

Because it’s the end of the year, and I’m in the throes of a busy holiday season, I’m not going to do any more reviews for 2007. Instead, I’m doing my favorites of all the stories I reviewed this year, in six different categories.

Today’s category is Best Cover.


3rd Runner Up
My Fair Captain by J.L. Langley, cover art by Anne Cain

Sometimes, naked chests work. They work well. Especially beautiful, slightly hairy chests like this one. Simple composition is often the best choice, and this one offers just enough other elements to stay honest to the story.

2nd Runner Up
The Seagrass Whore by Ellen Ashe, cover art by ML Benton


This cover made me stop and stare. I find it sensual and evocative. The red against the black and white grabbed me, hinting at the spookiness the story promised to provide. It even overcame my hesitation at a romance with the word “whore” in the title. That says a lot.


1st Runner Up
Beyond the Night by Sharon Long, cover art by Anne Cain


What do I love about this one? I love the composition, with so many intriguing elements. The contrast of the dark blue, light blue, and earthy tones blend into a very elegant composition. I also love the female model. She’s pretty and looks intelligent without being intimidating. A definite plus for me.


And my pick for the favorite cover I reviewed this year is…

Boundless by Annie Dean, Bonnie Dee, & Dionne Galace,
cover art by April Martinez


I think April Martinez is one of the best artists out there right now. Her covers are often achingly beautiful, simple images highlighted and colored in such ways to create something new and original. This cover in particular gives the impression of intricate layers, melded together into a seamless composition. She doesn’t detract with awkward coloring and there are enough elements to intrigue a reader to pick it up and look further.

So now I want to know what your favorite cover was on e-books that you bought this year. I'm not interested in self-pimping; I want to know what covers you loved as a reader. Did you love the book as much as the cover? Did it have to work harder to meet your expectations? Would you recommend it?

I want to know!

6 comments:

Amanda Young said...

I love the cover for My Fair Captain. It's just yummy. :)

A few other of my favorites are -- Any Ordinary Day by Laura Bacchi, Dolphin Dreams by Jules Jones, and Fireflies by Ally Blue.

Book Utopia Mom said...

I remember Fireflies, that one was really pretty. Anne Cain is probably my second favorite artist working today.

Hot Sauce Reviews said...

Another vote for Fireflies.

Also, I find the cover of Lynne Connolly's A Chance To Dream as well as Barbara Sheridan and Anne Cain's Silk And Poison very lovely to look at.

Book Utopia Mom said...

I like the composition and coloring of Connolly's book, but her hero looks like Keanu Reeves in Dracula to me. I can't think of that without giggling.

For some reason, I just don't find myself responding to illustrated covers very strongly. Silk and Poison is definitely one of the better ones I've seen, but it makes me feel like I'm about to read a teen romance, which I know is so so so far from the case.

Teddy Pig said...

Cover of The Year
Forbidden ~ Lila Dubois
Liquid Silver
Cover by April Martinez

Colorful, fascinating, caught your attention and you had to buy that book just for the pretty cover.


Best Illustrated Cover of The Year
Hell ~ Jet Mykles
Loose-Id
Cover by P.L. Nunn

Consistently beautiful Yaoi style covers. Jet gets Nunn's best work too.


Best Cover I Can't Vote On
My Fair Captain ~ J.L. Langley
Samhain
Cover by Anne Cain

Mantitty with hair and that is how you get people to notice.
But... I got to give input when it was being made.


Most Unexpected Cover of The Year
Highlander's Challenge ~ Jo Barrett
The Wild Rose Press
Cover by R.J. Morris

I have to admit this pretty much the same style as say a Ellora's Cave well less vulgar but you get the idea. Only this cover caught my attention and really got me to buy when I realized it was the best cover on the whole dang Wild Rose web site. It probably still is unfortunately. I had to read it just to find out if the story was any good. Effective.

Oh, and yes all the stories turned out to earn their respective covers which is probably why they got them.

Book Utopia Mom said...

Yeah, Forbidden is some of April's best work. I certainly got sucked into getting the book because of the cover.

You reminded me I need to put Jo Barrett's book on my TBR. Thank you!