Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Favorite Erotic Romances for 2007

Oddly enough, I think my list of favorite erotic stories that I reviewed this year has little to do with how erotic they are. At least two of them are for reasons completely unrelated to the sexual content, while the other two…well, you’ll see.

3rd Runner Up
Reaper’s Reward by Marie Harte

This is the one story I selected purely based on how well it succeeded as an erotic romance for me. The hero pushed a lot of my buttons, the heroine sparkled without being perfect, and the sex was hot. There was just enough kink in it not to be overwhelming, and the overlaying plot – while not perfect – was enough to sustain its novel-length without having to rely too heavily upon just the smut. This story cemented my appreciation of this author’s contemporary work. I always read her blurbs and excerpts far more closely, in search of another of her stories I’ll like just as much as this one.

2nd Runner Up
Sex Between Strangers by Gabrina Garza

I was a little surprised to end up with a short story on my favorites list, but this story deserves a spot for a couple of reasons. First of all, it’s absolutely lovely. It’s simply told, sweet and romantic, with a melancholy air that helps promote the poignancy of the plot. Secondly, it introduced me to this particular author; I think I reviewed more of her titles than anybody else last year. Ultimately, though, this remains my favorite of everything I’ve read by her. So far.

1st Runner Up
Hold by Zannie Adams

Out of all the erotic romances I reviewed this year, I’ll confess this is my guiltiest pleasure. When I say this hits a kink, I mean this wallops that kink until it’s black and blue and wet all over. The story’s not perfect. I hate that last chapter with a passion and refuse to read it on re-reads. But the rest of the story vibrates with emotion and atmosphere, passionate and needy all at the same time. It’s got a hero as alpha and closed-off as they come, and if I could have a Cain all for myself, I’d sit on Santa’s lap every damn day of the year to get one. Just don’t tell my husband. ;)

And my favorite erotic romance I reviewed this year is:

Paul’s Dream
by Rowan McBride

This one was actually quite an easy one to call. Just like Paul lingered for me long after I’d set the book aside, the entire story stood up and demanded to be counted when I compiled this list. This succeeds on many of the levels I demand to put a book on keeper status. It has a hero I adore; the damaged Paul almost made me cry in this. It’s got a visually vibrant last act, tightly written and an absolute joy to read. It’s an intelligent, haunting story, and I eagerly await future installments in this particular series.

Though this is probably one of the most subjective categories around, I’m interested in hearing about your favorites of the year. There’s always stuff out there that doesn’t catch my eye for one reason or another, and probably should. What erotic romance would you want everybody to read?

2 comments:

Joely Skye said...

I've enjoyed your 2007 roundup. I'm eyeing Paul's Dream with some interest, though I wish it were available at All Romance eBooks.

And thanks for the mention earlier!

Gabrina said...

Hi Book Utopia!

Thanks so much for having Sex Between Strangers on your list of favs. I'm very glad you found it and I feel honored to be the only short story on the list! Go Sara and Dace.

There are a lot of books on your list I'm going to have to buy...just as soon as I pay off my credit card from holiday spending.

Happy 2008!

Gabrina